With so many shower trays to choose from, in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, materials and colours, where do you possibly begin? To make things easier, we’ve put together this buying guide to help you choose the best type of shower tray for your bathroom. Read on to find out what to consider when choosing a shower tray, followed by a breakdown of the different shapes and sizes available.
What to consider when choosing a shower tray
There are several factors to take into account when choosing the best shower tray for your bathroom.
- Your shower enclosure: The shape and size of your chosen shower tray needs to perfectly match that of your shower enclosure, so that there are no gaps for water to escape.
- Space and size: The size of your bathroom will determine the shape and size of your shower enclosure and tray. Smaller bathrooms are better suited to space-saving styles like a square or quadrant enclosure, while big bathrooms are well-suited to larger rectangular shower trays.
- Colour: Most shower trays are white, which makes for a simple and pared-back aesthetic, but slate-coloured shower trays are becoming more and more popular, providing a more natural look and feel.
- Pipework: If your pipework is set into the floor, you can choose between a flat and raised shower tray, whereas if your pipework is raised, you’ll need a raised one to make space for this plumbing.
- Safety: Safety is incredibly important when it comes to showering. Surfaces can inevitably get slippery when wet, but all Mira shower trays feature an anti-slip coating to make showering safer for all the family. Our Mira Flight Safe range take things one step further, with an exclusive coating and anti-slip technology that exceeds industry standards.
Shower tray sizes
Shower trays come in a variety of shapes and sizes to suit all manner of requirements – there's no one standard shower tray size, per se. Here are the five main shower tray shapes and the dimensions they come in.
Square shower trays
Square shower trays are a great choice for small bathrooms, especially when paired with bi-fold doors. At Mira, our square shower tray sizes range from 760x760mm to 1000x1000mm. They start at £91.62 for smaller sizes and range up to £310.
Rectangle shower trays
Rectangular shower trays offer an extended showering space and are particularly popular for bigger bathrooms. That said, when they’re paired with sliding doors, they can still work in smaller bathrooms too. We offer rectangular shower trays with dimensions ranging from 1000x760mm to 1700x900mm/1800x800mm. They start at £164 for smaller sizes and range up to £574.
Pentagon shower trays
Pentagon shower trays fit snugly into the corner of a bathroom, with a five-sided design, and they’re usually paired with bi-fold or pivot doors. Our pentagon shower trays range from 900x900mm to 1200x900mm. They start at £164 for smaller sizes and range up to £338.
Quadrant shower trays
Quadrant shower trays fit neatly into the corner too, with a curved front for maximised space. They’re paired with either sliding or hinged doors. At Mira, our quadrant shower tray sizes range from 800x800mm to 1200x900mm. They start at £159 for smaller sizes and range up to £330.
Raised shower trays or flat shower trays?
Whether you go for a raised or flat shower tray will depend on your pipework. Low or flat shower trays have a lower profile that work better if pipework is set into the floor, while raised shower trays are designed to make space for raised pipework.
Mira Flight shower trays have a 90mm depth, Mira Flight Low shower trays have a 40mm depth, and Mira Flight Level shower trays have a 25mm depth, so you can take your pick based on your specific requirements.
All Mira shower trays can also be fitted with riser legs, enabling you to adjust the height to perfectly meet your needs.
Shower tray materials and colours
Shower trays are typically made from either acrylic or acrylic-capped stone resin. Acrylic is a popular choice as it's durable, easy to clean, lightweight and naturally non-slip when wet.
Acrylic-capped stone resin is becoming a more and more popular choice for shower trays. It has all the same benefits as acrylic, but due to the stone resin that’s at the core, it won’t bend or warp in the same way that a standard acrylic shower tray might, making it more durable and less likely to break. It also provides a more sophisticated finishing touch to your bathroom.
All Mira shower trays are made from strong acrylic-capped resin stone, which has been rigorously tested to help prevent scratches, chips and discolouration. They also feature an anti-slip coating to make showering safer for all the family, and BioCote® technology which reduces bacteria and mould growth by up to 99.9%. What’s more, all Mira shower trays come with a 10-year guarantee.
White continues to be the most popular choice for shower trays, offering a clean and simple finish, but slate is increasing in popularity. All our shower trays are available in white, and our Mira Flight Level trays also come in a stunning slate effect.